Herbal tea is a beverage made from various plants, leaves, flowers, stems, and roots. They are caffeine-free and are often enjoyed for their soothing and aromatic qualities. Herbal tea is rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins, they are good for body health, helps refresh the mind, improves heart, digestion, and sleep quality, and is a good way to detoxify the body. Here are six herbal teas and the benefits they provide.
- Ginger Tea; has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it is often used to reduce inflammation in the body and may help with conditions like osteoarthritis and menstrual pain. Ginger tea can alleviate nausea, including morning sickness, and motion sickness, it may also enhance the immune system helping the body fight off infections.
- Hibiscus Tea; it has the potential to lower blood pressure due to its high content of antioxidants like anthocyanins. Hibiscus extract may inhibit carbohydrate absorption, which could aid in weight management. A study found that taking hibiscus tea extract for 6 weeks significantly decreased oxidative stress in male soccer players.
- Peppermint Tea; this is used to support digestive health, it contains menthol which can help relax the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, and it is commonly used to relieve symptoms of bloating and gas. It may also help with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by reducing spasms in the gut. It also has antioxidants, anti-cancer, antibacterial, and antiviral properties.
- Chamomile Tea; this is known for its calming effects. It contains an antioxidant called apigenin, which can bind to certain receptors in the brain, potentially reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation. This makes it a popular choice for improving sleep quality and managing insomnia. Studies also show that it could improve sleep quality in older adults and postpartum women.
- Lemon Balm Tea; lemon balm tea has a light, lemony flavor and seems to have health-promoting properties. Research shows that drinking lemon balm may increase the body’s natural antioxidant enzymes, which help protect the body from oxidative damage. It also has mild sedative properties that can help reduce anxiety and promote a sense of calm.
- Echinacea Tea; is believed to stimulate the immune system, helping the body fend off colds and respiratory infections. Research shows that Echinacea tea can shorten the duration and severity of these illnesses.
Herbal teas come in a variety of delicious flavors, they are naturally free of sugar and calories and have potential health benefits. If you are using them for medicinal purposes or have a health condition, please consult a doctor before taking herbal tea.