Plums are nutritious fruits that belong to the genus Prunus. They are known for their sweet and juicy flesh, they come in a variety of shapes and colors which include purple, yellow, and green. Plums are not only nutritious but offer several health benefits. Here are some health benefits of Plums.
- Nutrients Rich; They are a rich source of essential nutrients, they contain Vitamins such as Vitamin C which supports the immune system, and Vitamin K which is crucial for blood clotting and bone health. They contain essential minerals like potassium, copper, phosphorus, and manganese which are essential in regulating blood pressure, formation of red blood cells, and supporting metabolic processes in the body.
- Weight Management; this is because they are low in calories making them a good a good choice for those looking to control their weight. Also, the fiber in plums supports digestive health which prevents constipation, and promotes a healthy gut, which can be beneficial for weight management. In addition, it promotes a feeling of fullness, which can curb overeating and help control appetite.
- Digestive Health; plums are a great source of dietary fiber and sorbitol which supports healthy digestion by preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements. The fiber in plum also serves as a probiotic, providing nourishment for beneficial gut bacteria, which supports a healthy gut microbiome. Regular consumption of plums can help regulate the digestive system, preventing issues like bloating and discomfort.
- Heart Health; the potassium content in plum plays a role in regulating blood pressure, which is important for heart health. Additionally, the fiber in plums can help lower cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease. It also contains antioxidants such as vitamin C, which can help protect blood vessels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Bone Health; they are beneficial for improving bone health, this is because they contain vitamin K which helps reduce the risk of conditions like osteoporosis. According to research, they have been shown to prevent bone loss, not only that they also have the potential to reverse bone loss that has already occurred.
- Blood Sugar Level; they are rich in soluble fiber which can slow down the absorption of sugar and help regulate blood glucose levels. They also have a relatively low glycemic index, which means they have a smaller impact on blood sugar when consumed which in turn can stabilize blood sugar levels. Natural sugar in plums is not as concentrated as in some other fruits, which can prevent rapid spikes in blood sugar.
- Antioxidants; with antioxidants such as phenolic compounds and anthocyanins, help protect cells from oxidative stress, reducing the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer. These antioxidants help reduce inflammation and protect your cells from damage by free radicals.
ALSO READ: Health Benefits of Herbal Teas
Plums are very nutritious and very easy to incorporate into your diet, they can be eaten on their own, or added to salads and smoothies.