Palm Oil is made from the fruit of oil palm tree, these fruits are harvested in bunches using specialized tools like large knives, the harvested fruit is then taken for sterilization using high pressure steam to kill any bacteria or fungi present on the fruit, after, it is threshed, digested (breaking down of the fruit’s pulp), then the oil is extracted, purified and stored for consumers. Let’s explore 7 health benefits of palm oil.
1. Antioxidants; palm oil contains anti-oxidants like tocotrienols and carotenoids which have antioxidants properties, these compounds helps neutralize free radicals in the body, reducing the risk of chronic disease. They also help protect the cells from oxidative stress which in turns protect the body from damaged cells and tissues.
2. Cardiovascular support; palm oil contains a mix of saturated and unsaturated fats which creates a balance in the fatty acids compositions, this balance, contributes to maintaining a healthy cholesterol level, which reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases. It also contains oleic acid, which is a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
3. Vitamin E; palm oil contains Vitamin E compounds like alpha tocopherol, and various tocotrienols which support a wide range of functions like skin health, immune system modulation. This vitamin E also acts as a powerful antioxidants which protects the cells from damage. It is also associated with improved wound healing.
4. Anti-Inflammatory properties; according to studies, tocotrienols and other bioactive compounds in palm oil have anti-inflammatory effects, which can cure chronic inflammation, the anti-inflammatory properties also contributes to overall well-being.
5. Cellular Function; the unique fatty acid composition of palm oil supports cell membrane structure and function, healthy cell membranes are crucial for proper cellular function, proper nutrient transport, communication between cells and overall cellular intergrity.
6. Energy Metabolism; saturated fats in palm oil can serve as a concentrated energy source, when consumed in moderation, these fats contribute to energy metabolism, supporting physical and overall metabolic function.
7. Neuroprotective effects; according to research, tocotrienols in palm oil protects nerve cells, they play a role in preventing neurodegenerative disease, this compounds enhance brain function and contribute to overall cognitive health.
Palm oil offers a range of health benefits, however, it is important to note that this should be consumed in consideration in order to avoid any health issues that would arise from consuming excessive fats.