Sesame seeds or beniseeds is a small seed but it’s might. It’s cultivated in Taraba State and the middle belt of Nigeria. You can add it as a topping when baking your bread, cake or pies. You can decide to eat it like a healthy snack because it has a nutty flavour.
Sesame seed or beniseed has an abundance of vitamin B6, niacin, thiamine and other minerals like copper, zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and healthy fats.
Here are some specific benefits
- It helps with digestion. The fiber content helps with constipation or diarrhea. It keeps your colon clean and healthy.
- It copper content helps inflammation in the body. It helps fight diseases caused by inflammation like arthritis. Sesame seed strengthens the walls of the blood vessels, bones and joints.
- The copper content in sesame seeds helps your body to absorb iron to fight anemia.
- Sesame seed contains a plant compound called phytoestrogens, it is similar to the hormone estrogen. This phytoestrogen might help women in menopause when their estrogen level is low. It also helps with hot flashes and other challenges linked to low estrogen levels.
- Eating sesame seeds is a natural way to reduce blood pressure and hypertension because it’s rich in magnesium.
- It promotes oral health. Chewing sesame seeds produce an antibacterial effect in the mouth.
- The zinc content is responsible for the formation of collagen which promotes healthy hair, skin and muscle tissue.
- It controls sugar levels in the body.
- It boosts your immune system.
Like everything good thing, sesame seeds should be consumed in moderation. Plus always ask you dietician before you change your diet.