The gut (gastrointestinal tract) is the long tube that starts at the mouth and ends at the back passage (anus).
Your daily bowel movements should be free of symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, and loose stools.
The gut refers to the function and balance of bacteria of the many parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
In other words, organs such as the esophagus, stomach and intestines all work together to allow us to eat and digest food without discomfort.
The signsofa healthy gut include being free of rectal symptoms like hemorrhoids or piles and abdominal symptoms such as gas, bloating, and abdominal pain. Gut health is extremely important for hormone function, digestion, detoxing pathogens, and absorbing nutrients. Digestion is the process from the moment we consume food to the moment the food is excreted
Here are some way to heal your gut to promote good health.
- Curcumin is the bioactive(is a compound that promotes good health) part of turmeric and has so many known benefits for hormones and gut health, making turmeric a gut healing food. Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in intestinal health . It also regulates gut bacteria creating the right balance to optimize absorption. The body cannot absorb curcumin so you need to combine turmeric with black pepper because black pepper contains piperine. This makes it possible for the body to easily curcumin.
- Ginger heals the gut. It has anti-inflammatory properties that aids digestion. Stomach emptying is a gut problem that happens if the stomach takes a long time to release its contents to the small intestine. It’s a sign that the stomach is not functioning well. A study found that ginger can shorten the stomach emptying time by 4 minutes when it is taken after a meal.
- Apple cider vinegar is good for your gut. It has antimicrobial activity that removes bad bacteria from the gut. It balances the acid levels in the stomach plus its anti inflammatory properties promotes digestive health.
- Garlic and Onions: They contain allicin. They both have antioxidants and anti inflammatory components. Garlic prevents mucosal damage and the development of ulcer. It also increase the number of good bacteria in the gut that helps your digestive system.
- Pineapple: This fruit has the power to heal your gut. It contains an enzymes known as bromelain. It has antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties.
- Cooked veggies heal the gut. Raw vegetables give the most benefits but for some persons, it might purge them. So you can slightly cook your raw veggies to make it easier for your digestive system.
Other ways to improve your gut health includes regular exercises, avoiding stress, get enough sleep, avoiding taking unnecessary antibiotics, eat probiotics like unsweetened yogurt, spices like Eru, Ugba or any fermented foods.